SONGKRAN FESTIVAL 2017
16th APRIL - ALL DAY
Songkran is the Thai New Year and is in line with the Buddhist calendar. It is a celebration rich in symbolic traditions.
Here at Wat Mahathat UK we have a day of celebration planned for any and all who wish to join us on the grounds of the Temple.
- Buddhist blessing
- Alms-giving (Those who wish to take part may offer gifts of food or sundries to support the monks)
- Offerings to those who have passed away
- Cultural entertainment (Traditional Thai dancers, performers and singers)
- Miss Songkran Contest (Youths and Adults). Who will have the most spectacular traditional Songkran dress?
- A variety of excellent Thai food stalls await - experience authentic Thai street food at it's best!
- We are looking for volunteers to assist in running certain aspects of the Songkran festivities. There is an open meeting for those who would like to get involved on 27th March at 2.30pm at the Temple.
- Stage volunteers please attend at 1.30pm.